I am the Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and the founder of ¡Yo Soy Artista!. I am also the Chairman for the North Allegheny School District Music Department.
Robert Daryl Tozier
Robert Tozier was born in Solan, Ohio, but was raised in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He moved to the North Allegheny School District when he was in sixth grade. He attended Carson Middle School, where he participated in the band. He also raced motorcycles and bicycles and enjoyed spending time with his friends.
Bob was a member of the North Allegheny Marching Band under the direction of Frank Farina and learned to love music theory by taking classes with David Berlin. He attended the University of Delaware and Duquesne University after graduating. Bob earned a Bachelor’s degree in music education and music technology and a Master’s degree in music education. He was hired by North Allegheny in 1999 after working for the Hampton School District, the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and the Lower Burrell School District.
Thanks to his grandfather, Bob has always been interested in technology. He introduced live streaming to North Allegheny after he became the Music Department Chairperson in 2006. He also introduced online classes in Music Theory, AP Music, Songwriting, and Electronic Music based on a program that he developed in his Master’s thesis. He is the producer of three musicals yearly; two musicals are at the high school level, and the other is the middle-school musical that he introduced in 2017. He works as the lighting designer and stage manager at North Allegheny Senior High School, and is one of the co-sponsors of the music honor society. Bob is proud of the number of students he has trained in stage technology who have gone on to work in this field.
When he is not at school, Bob enjoys spending time with his wife, two daughters, and three dogs. He likes hiking and watching Star Wars movies. He also enjoys learning new technology and educational theories that he can use to teach and inspire his students!
November 2017 Grand Canyon University, Phoenix, Arizona. 60+ credits towards Doctor of Psychology with emphasis on educational technology.
July 2000 Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. Master of Music Education Degree with emphasis on technology. Technology Institute for Music Educators Certification
May 1992 Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. Bachelor of Science Degree in Music Education. Graduated cum laude, Dean’s List. Member of the Wind Symphony, Concert Choir Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble.
August 2021 North Allegheny School District, Wexford, PA.
To present Along with my teaching, musical directing, and chairman responsibilities, I was named producer for the first North Allegheny Senior High School Fall musical.
- Responsible for all aspects of the 11~12 musical – roughly 55+ participating students yearly.
- Provide guidance for the artistic team and sold out our first set of performances.
June 2016 North Allegheny School District, Wexford, PA.
To present Along with my teaching and chairman responsibilities, I was named Producer for the musical.
- Responsible for all aspects of the 9~12 musical – roughly 150+ participating students yearly.
- Provide guidance for the artistic team.
- Manage $100,000+ budget
- Created and produce a 7~8 Middle School Musical
- Program and deliver shows for a 10,000 + audience yearly.
- Implemented NA’s first online ticket system.
- Please visit http://www.NAMusical.com for more information and examples of produced shows. June 2006 North Allegheny School District, Wexford, PA.
June 2016 Along with my teaching responsibilities, I was named Music Department Chairman.
- Responsible for curriculum development and alignment for all K-12 music classes including: general music, band, choir, and orchestra.
- Created and manage our livestream showcase: http://namusiclive.org including concerts, events, and student showcase.
- Provide guidance for 37+ music teachers, manage an $80,000 budget for all K-12 music classes.
- Develop training/learning modules using a learning management system that I developed through Lasso, HTML, and MySQL.
Developed and teach Advanced Multimedia Arts – Vector-based imagery, advanced video concepts and effects, advanced animation techniques.
- Developed and teach Honors Music Theory – 19th century harmonies including substitutions, modal interchange, modulations, and augmented 6th chords.
August 1998 North Allegheny School District, Wexford, PA.
June 2006 Music Technology teacher, Multimedia Arts teacher, faculty web teacher, and Community Microsoft Instructor
- Teach Music Theory levels 1-4, Electronic Music, Advanced Electronic Music, Songwriting, and A.P. Music through an online music education course I developed (http://www.yosoyartista.net). This course is currently running on my own server using OSX Server, Lasso, MySQL and HTML to track students graded assignments and instant feedback.
- Teach Multimedia Arts course to 11th and 12th graders. This course teaches the following concepts: Digital Imagery (Adobe Photoshop), Digital Audio and MIDI sound (Apple GarageBand, Propellerheads Reason, MOTU Digital Performer, and Make Music Finale), Digital Video (Adobe Premiere and Apple Final Cut Pro), Animation (Adobe Animate and Photoshop), and Web Design (Adobe Dreamweaver). Multimedia Arts: http://www.yosoyartista.net/na/academics/art/multimedia
- Teach faculty web design courses and e-learning techniques along with adult community classes: Microsoft FrontPage/Macromedia Dreamweaver, Intro to the Internet (Microsoft Explorer), word processing (Microsoft Word), electronic presentation (Microsoft PowerPoint), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), and webpage design (Microsoft FrontPage).
June 1995 Burrell School District, Lower Burrell, PA.
August 1998 Concert/Marching Band Director & Music/Instrumental Instructor.
- Responsible for Concert and Marching Band students grades 7 through 12: concerts, music selection and arrangements, scheduling events including parades, festivals, annual band trip, and band camp; and drill design for halftime shows. Responsible for budgets (appro. $50,000 yearly). Taught school lessons for students in grades 6 – 12 and instruct General Music classes in grades 5, 6, and 7.
- Created electronic music ensemble.
August 1992 Hampton School District, Allison Park, PA.
To June 1995 Assistant Marching Band Director and 5th grade instrumental music instructor
- Responsible for orchestration of music and assisted at all parades. Instituted computer music program. Summer instrumental instructor for Hampton students, grades 4 – 12, all instruments.
January 2023 North Allegheny Distinguished Alumni
Recognized as a North Allegheny Distinguished Alumni for education.
May 2008 Keystone Technology Integrator Award
Recognized as a Pennsylvania Technology Integrator who fully utilizes the many benefits technology offers to improve instructional practices across content areas and focuses on student learning and uses technology as a tool to support this end.
May 2006 Teacher Excellence Center
One of 100 Finalists out of 4,000 nominees from 55 school districts in southwestern Pennsylvania.
June 2005 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
Recognized for Excellence in teaching in the 9th Edition.
May 2005 Teacher Excellence Center
One of 110 Finalists out of 3,300 nominees from 60 school districts in southwestern Pennsylvania.
June 2004 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
Recognized for Excellence in teaching in the 8th Edition .
June 2003 Classroom Connect Internet Teacher of the Year
Nationally recognized as “Honorable Mention” for Innovative use of the Internet in the classroom.
May 2002 Sam’s Club Teacher of the Year
Regionally recognized for Online (e-learning) Music Education Program for Music Theory and Composition
Presentations I have been asked to present my philosophy about achievement, curriculum development, music education, online education, blended learning, mobile learning, and technology at the following locations:
March 2011 ASCD Annual Conference “A Blended Education” in San Francisco, CA
February 2011 PHI Delta KAPA International Leadership and Curriculum Conference in Atlanta, GA
May 2010 Apple Music Presentation “Music from a Garage Band” in Pittsburgh, PA
October 2009 PASA-PSBA School Leadership Conference in Hershey, PA
March 2009 ASCD Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida
November 2007 PMEA District 1 Curriculum and Instruction Conference at Carnegie Mellon University
January 2006 PMEA Region Band Festival
September 2005 Cannon-McMillan In-service, Cannonsburg, PA
April 2004 PMEA State Conference in Erie, PA
April 2004 Quaker Valley Inservice, Sewickley, PA
March 2004 PMEA District 1 Junior High District Chorus
November 2003 PMEA District 1 Curriculum and Instruction Conference at Carnegie Mellon University
October 2002 Washington County Music Educator’s Association in Washington, PA
November 2001 PMEA District 1 Curriculum and Instruction Conference at Carnegie Mellon University
TI:ME Web Committee – Technology Institute for Music Education Web Committee Member
2004- 2010 Manage the delivery of instruction, information and collaboration for the members of the music technology community (http://www.ti-me.org/)
¡Yo Soy Artista!
2008- Present President and CEO – A Blended Learning Community (http://www.yosoyartista.net/)